The new Lehnens Furniture, located at 3210 Builder Dr., Lafayette, Indiana. We moved into this building in November, 2002.
In 1946, John E. Lehnen had completed his service to his country in the U.S. Navy as a radar technician, and came home to Lafayette with ambition in the electronics field. John first started a radio repair business in a rented garage at Park Ave. and Wallace St. near Columbian Park. Less than a year later he rented a building at 1727 Main St. and started selling radios, televisions, and appliances. In 1949 he moved again to 627 Main St. This was next door to the old Luna Theater, and the showroom was 24 feet wide and 60 feet deep. John stayed at that location for four years. With the increased sales of televisions and demand to install television antennas, John's business bloomed.
In 1953, John purchased Bosco's Furniture from Ike Bosco, who was retiring due to poor health. Ike walked into Lehnen's appliance store and asked John if he wanted to get into the furniture business. John thought about it for a day or so and decided that it would be a good addition to his appliance business. Mrs. Bosco continued to work for John as a bookkeeper until she retired.
About three years later the business had grown. So John purchased a building at 216 North 6th St. which had housed the Ruger Bakery at that time. John moved the furniture and appliance business into the three level building, which was just across from Lafayette Journal & Courier's newspaper office downtown. Lehnen's business had grown and so had the City of Lafayette.
The business was located at 216 North 6th St. until July of 1980. John E. Lehnen's son had been working in the business since 1971. The son John W. Lehnen encouraged his father to move to Lafayette's south side of town, and build a new building at 2880 U.S. 231 South, which was a 30,000 square foot building all on one level. In 1981 Lehnen's Furniture & Appliance was incorporated and its name changed to Lehnen's Furniture Inc. As the furniture business continued to grow, John E. Lehnen bought the two acres next door, and added on a 15,000 square foot warehouse.
On July 30, 2001, John W. Lehnen, and wife Linda K. Lehnen bought four acres in Daughtery Commerce Center with the intention of building another furniture store. John W. and Linda K. built a 30,000 square ft. furniture store, and moved the business just off of 350 South and Concord Rd. It was the first building built in the Daughtery Commerce Center.
The new store at 3210 Builder Drive was completed and opened November 2nd, 2002 and John W. (Johnny) Lehnen, Linda K. Lehnen, and their son Marc W. Lehnen operate the present business in Lafayette's fastest growing area Southside of town.